PREPARE FOR MARRIAGE, and not just entertainment.
I have observed with keen interest, that we put in so much energy and resources into our wedding ceremonies these days, with greater part of it going into hosting of guests, popularly called “reception” in my part of the world. Some people go to the extent of taking a loan in order to be able to entertain guests, there by having a huge debt to pay back after the wedding. This has the tendency to create tension in the home of the newly married. No believer who has the wisdom of God should allow this kind of scenario to play out in his/her home.
In as much as it is good to entertain your guests, if you have the means, I believe that it is much better to channel more of your resources and energy in preparation for the marriage itself.
Marriage for believer is not something you rush in and rush out. It is a life time covenant for any believer that knows what he/she is doing. You have to invest time and resources to make sure it works. People get married these days without “proper ground work” done, for instance;
• How many people read books on marriage before going into marriage?
• How many search the scriptures to see God’s plan and purpose for marriages?
• How many seek the face of God in fasting and prayer for their intended marriage?
• How many know to a reasonable level their prospective spouse?
• How many have done proper background check on their prospective spouse?
Yet these days, we are more concerned about:
• What dress/suit to wear
• The hall/venue to be used for reception
• What kind of food and drinks to serve the invited guests.
We have a lot of funny stuff these days. Some marriages crashed even before they started. I heard a story of a couple that started quarreling right from the wedding reception hall. Others can’t say exactly their spouse’s source of income.
Let us be wise. Remember proverbs 24 vs 3
“Through Wisdom is an house builded, and by understanding it is established